Thursday, November 5, 2015

Book review: Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)

Book: Six of Crows
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Genre: Young Adult, fiction, fantasy
Rating: 4.5/5
Format: Hardcover
Favorite Character: Kaz Brekker


So when this book came out, I had just finished the Grisha trilogy and was excited to read something in the same universe. For some reason though it took me forever to finish this book, though. Most of the difficulty came in the first third of the book when everything was being set up. I just could not get into it and ended up setting it aside ans reading several other books. Finally after finishing Signs Point to Yes I picked it up again. And boy I don't know what happened because I couldn't put it down.

(Spoilers)
I feel like all the interesting things in this book happened at once. Kaz and Inej and their adorableness. An explanation of Nina and Matthias and back story for everyone. Also just the adventure of the heist. I could not stop reading. I feel like there was a lot of depth put into all of the characters, and each one was always facing something new. Inej had to deal past in the Menagerie, her feelings for Kaz, and her future; Al while climbing a hot-as-hell ventilation shaft. Jesper has a serious gambling problem and makes some serious mistakes, but he is also gay and totally into Wylan. The thing I like most about that is that it does not define him as a character in any way, like in most stories these days. Its mostly just a string of off-handed comments and actions that make you realize. Matthias makes me angry, but I can understand why he is that way, and he comes around in the end. Nina ties this story to the Grisha trilogy which I thought was pretty cool. As a character, I hated her for what she did to Matthias, but settled down after she explained herself. I have no real opinion on Wylan, other then I hope him and Jesper get together. 

I knew right away Iw ould like Kaz. He is just the type of character I swoon over. Calm, calculating, clever, always a step ahead, but with a dark past and flaws just like anyone else. I liked that he was played more than once, as it made him more human.

Overall this book was awesome and I'm anticipating the second one. Slow start, but totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment