Monday, April 13, 2015

Book Review: A Million Little Pieces by James Frey


Book: A Million Little Pieces
Author: James Frey
Genre: Memoir (debatable), fiction.
Rating: 4/5
Format: Paperback
Where I got the book: I don't remember where I got this book, but I remember I picked it up because I read about the controversy and was curious. Then I promptly forgot about it for a while.
Favorite Character: Leonard


I picked up this book again after forget about the whole ordeal surrounding it, until I was reminded by a friend. Overall I liked this book, the first half more than the second. The style of writing reminded me of a not-as-good Choke by Chuck Palahniuk which is a favorite of mine. I found some of it repetitive, though I think that was supposed to be for effect, and it wore on me at parts. I think the book declined in quality as it went on as well and by the end I just kind of wanted to finish it.

I guess that partially had to do with a spoiler I saw online that I was curious about (Though that turned out to not even really be in the book...just the 'where are they now' section). There was one scene that if it was a movie I would have looked away and make me almost get a little sick (Same thing happened in the same scene in Black Swan, if you wanted a hint) and I did find it funny when people asked what it was about my first answer was always 'Puking up a lot of blood and chunks of stomach'.

Overall it was a good read and I enjoyed it. I looked at it more as a piece of fiction while I was reading it instead of a true story. But good.

No comments:

Post a Comment