Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Book Review: Mind Games by Kiersten White



Book: Mind Games
Author: Kiersten White
Genre: YA fiction, sci-fi, paranormal
Rating: 2.5/5
Format: Hardcover
Where I got the book: HPB YA clearance section.
Favorite Character: I'm actually not sure. I don't think I felt a pull towards any of the characters. I'm curious about James though so we'll see.

This book took me a few slow days to get into. I wasn't really sure about it at first. But once I got into it I got though it pretty quick, and it wasn't bad. The flashback kind of bothered me, in the same way that I ended up reading Afterworlds the wrong way. However with this book the flash backs tied more into the story so it made it a little easier. I suppose I just don't like being jarred from the timeline.
(Spoilers)
I liked the idea of the powers that the girls had, though there wasn't a very good explanation of where they came from. Fia kind of reminded me of Katniss during her crazy phase. By far my favorite part of the book is the end, starting with Annie's vision of her own 'death' and then going into the events actually happening and Fia's side. It left me wanting to read more. The whole James and Keane thing was super confusing at first, and for a while I was still trying to make sure that Keane and Mr Keane were the same person since it was set up like a James vs Keane thing. And for most of the book I thought that James actually was Mr. Keane, playing into how no one ever saw him. Part of me is still skeptical..

I felt like this one got better as it went on, and it was a quick read. I ended up buying the second book after I finished it and will probably breeze though it once it arrives. Hoping it keeps the trend of getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment