Saturday, May 9, 2015

Book Review: The Last Days by Scott Westerfeld

The Last Days (Peeps, #2)


Book: The Last Days
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Genre: YA fiction, sci-fi, paranormal, vampire
Rating: 4/5
Format: Paperback
Where I got the book: Ordered off of Amazon after finishing Peeps. Could not find this book in an actual store.
Favorite Character: Zahler.


Like many others I feel that this book is more of companion novel to Peeps rather than a sequel. I also thought this book was a lot better than the first one. The characters are a lot more interesting and I've always enjoyed stories where the reader knows more than the characters in the book. I still have some of the same feeling I did about the first book. I still thought the book was overall pretty juvenile and silly, but it was a step up.

(Spoilers)
I really enjoyed the idea of Luz, and that people were trying and succeeding at figuring out their own ways to get through the rough bits of becoming a peep. I liked almost all the characters, though I really enjoyed Zahler the most. With his crush on Pearl and his honest observations about the people around him, he definitely seemed the most likable. The whole concept of Minerva's singing bringing up the worms is...interesting. I wish there was some snippets of the language she was singing in. I liked the end, even though I also thought it was silly. In a world where everything is ruined, the band is touring and saving the world. The only thing that bothered me in the end, is what happened to all the people? Did they find a cure for peep-ism? If not, how did peeps/angels reproduce? Was everyone infected doomed to live a few hundred years then die out? There were a lot of infected people.

No comments:

Post a Comment